We started working in these communities in June, 2013 and will be there for another 1.5 years. With support from Feed the Dream, we are implementing out integral strategic plan to reduce chronic childhood malnutrition: water and sanitation, family planning, community empowerment and disaster risk reduction.
ABPD and the Santa Apolonia Health Center found a rate of chronic malnutrition of 69% in Chuacacay and 75% en Chuachun. In the past six month, the communities have had great success!
- 159 family gardens were established.
- 58% of participants are using soil conservation techniques, and the 40% of the families have improved their production of corn and beans.
- 102 families have goats.
- 71% of the families have built or are using storage rooms for their corn and beans. This has reduced the 7% the losses of basic grains, what means more food available for the families during the year.
- 78% of babies under 6 months are receiving exclusive breastfeeding, and none of these suffer from chronic malnutrition.
- All mothers are weaning their babies between 6 and 8 months.
- 88% of children under 2 years and over 6 months receive food enough times a day.
We will continue to work in these villages, fully implementing the water and sanitation components. There is more work to be done, and we will be there!